Cherry picker hire offers a simple, cost-effective way to get access to the machines you need, without the huge costs associated with ownership. These machines are used in a wide range of projects, from construction to utilities, telephone line repair, agriculture, and many others. They are designed to reach great heights, and consist of a long crane-like neck that is fitted with a safe, railed platform at the end. Workers are lifted and lowered through a hydraulic mechanism, with the machine controlled from the ground or the platform by an operator.
What should you know about these machines, and why should you consider hiring a cherry picker in Durban or surrounds?
Looking for Cherry Picker Hire? Here’s What You Need to Know.
Some things to know about these machines include the following:
- Cherry pickers are used in a wide range of instances, whenever there is a need to reach heights above obstacles at ground level. Whether this means needing to access power lines above trees, reach the tops of large buildings in heavily developed urban areas or clear branches in an orchard, cherry pickers offer a practical alternative to traditional methods of access, such as scaffolding, which may not be possible when ground level areas are cluttered, uneven or otherwise obstructed.
- Before renting a cherry picker, it is a good idea to evaluate the site environment. These machines are available in different sizes, with heights ranging up to 18 metres. For sites that have a large number of obstructions, very high buildings and a more challenging environment, a larger machine will ensure that there is sufficient reach. A smaller site however will be better with a smaller machine, which will do the job with a shorter reach.
- Safety should always come first. Just like any other large scale tool, these machines come with their share of risks. Hard hats are essential for all operators – on the ground and on the platform. Operators should be fully trained and permitted to operate heavy machinery of this type.
- One of the biggest advantages of these tools is their articulated necks. This allows the railed platform to be moved to many different areas – above or between obstacles. Machines that do not have fully articulated necks may not have the same level of motion, and may not be as versatile as a result.
- Hiring works out to be a far cheaper and simpler alternative to purchase. Needless to say, the cost of a brand new cherry picker (or even a second hand one) is by no means a small amount. Hiring the tool you need for the job at hand, for the duration of the job, means that you only pay for the time you are using the equipment. If you have a once-off job, lack storage space, don’t have funds for equipment upgrades and prefer to have a stress-free solution that allows tools to be delivered and collected to and from the site while in use, hiring is definitely the way to go.